Palace accreditation for bloggers to be reviewed

0

Designated press secretary Rose Beatrix “Trixie” Cruz-Angeles said Thursday she was reviewing Malacañang’s media accreditation policy to see if it allows them to give bloggers and social media influencers access to events in the country’s seat of power.

Cruz-Angeles said they would carefully consider whether to let social media personalities attend regular palace briefings and other presidential engagements.

She said they would study their “level of inclusion” if they ever had access to Malacañang and were treated as “regular” media professionals, just like those who are part of the Malacañang Press Corps (MPC).

Factors to consider include a vlogger’s number of followers and average engagement per content.

“Under the old kasi policy, there is a limit of 20,000 subscribers, na kailangan malagpasan po nila to be considered (they must have a minimum of 20,000 subscribers, which they must still exceed to be considered into account),” said Cruz-Angeles, an attorney who also maintains a weblog (blog).

Get the latest news


delivered to your inbox

Sign up for the Manila Times daily newsletters

By registering with an email address, I acknowledge that I have read and accept the terms of use and the privacy policy.

“Right now, tinitingnan din po namin ‘yung (we’re also looking at) engagements, because engagements really mean people reacting to what you’ve written or shown, in the case of vloggers, to interesado o sila o nai- involve sila doon sa sinasabi (and they are interested in what you say).”

“So ngayon ang kino-consider namin both follow-ups and commits kasi makaiba po ‘yun (now we are considering both follow-ups and commits, because they are different),” she added.

President-elect Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos’ camp has previously said giving social media personalities access to Malacañang’s coverage is being seriously considered, noting that vloggers “play a huge role” in the new leader’s campaign.

Traditionally, coverage of the Palace has been limited to journalists from print media, radio and television networks and online news sites.

It was in 2017 when PCOO Secretary Martin Andanar issued a ministerial order allowing the accreditation of certain social media personalities.

It is the policy that Cruz-Angeles has declared that is under scrutiny.

“Hindi par rin natin po alam kung tama na nga po, ngayon ang panahon na nararapat para ma-include sila (we still don’t know if it’s already the right time for them to be included)”, he said. she stated.

“Are they going to be regulars like the, similar to the MPC, will they just be able to cover events, are we creating events for them?” she added.

Meanwhile, Andanar said he would leave it to the next PCOO leadership to discern and decide the matter.

“The plan to grant press letters to Malacañang bloggers is an internal decision of the new administration,” he said in a statement.

“Any feedback or questions on this should therefore be best answered by the next administration’s designated press secretary,” he said.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.