The cloud computing market is dominated by several large vendors, but Amazon Web Services (AWS) remains ahead of the pack.
AWS, Amazon’s cloud subsidiary, owns most of it, 32% of the cloud market estimated at 150 billion dollars, in the first quarter of 2021.
With “hundreds of thousands” of customers in more than 190 countries, AWS achieved sales of $ 45.37 billion in 2020.
AWS offers over 200 cloud products. See below to learn more about some key AWS cloud products and its position in the cloud market:
- Integration of applications: Application integration allows organizations and their developers to link applications and services without having to refactor entire architectures. Additionally, Integration Services allow applications to continue running even if another linked application fails.
- Cloud financial management: A number of services are offered that facilitate improved forecasting and budgeting.
- Calculate: Compute services allow organizations to have granular control over the cloud infrastructure they use for their needs.
- Containers: AWS containers are scalable, reliable, and secure. They are also deeply integrated with the AWS infrastructure. This ensures that container applications can use the other services that are part of the AWS ecosystem.
- Development tools: A number of tools are offered to enable developers to implement continuous integration and delivery, thereby accelerating the software development cycle.
- End User Computing on AWS: This service gives end users in an organization the ability to access the applications and desktops they need from compatible devices. The platform is secure and resources can be scaled up or down based on business needs.
- Media services: AWS provides services that enable customers to transport, prepare, process, and deliver content in the cloud.
- Quantum technologies: AWS provides researchers and developers with access to quantum hardware technologies, enabling them to explore and create quantum algorithms.
- Without server: AWS tools that enable serverless computing allow customers to focus only on writing code for their user base. AWS manages functions such as capacity provisioning and patching.
AWS has a network of partners who use AWS to build solutions and services for customers. These partnerships cover a number of industries:
- Brightcove (digital media): Brightcove uses AWS to provide cloud solutions for delivering and monetizing video to connected devices.
- Splunk (Education): Splunk enables customers to analyze and visualize data, so they can deepen their business knowledge, prevent cybersecurity threats, and improve service. This service is useful for universities looking to offer better deals for students and employees.
- Hitachi Vantara (Financial Services): Hitachi provides solutions that support demanding financial applications.
- Cloudreach (Government): Cloudreach helps public sector organizations run more efficiently by delivering successful cloud transformations.
- Pariveda Solutions (Healthcare): Pariveda Solutions helps healthcare organizations improve their performance by providing them with technologies such as cloud consulting services and DevOps automation.
AWS Use Cases
Moderna is a biomedical company which is developing vaccines that use messenger RNA (mRNA), such as for COVID-19. They use AWS to optimize compute, data integration and high-performance analysis, as well as the automation of laboratory and manufacturing processes. AWS also saves money because the computing power they provide is cheaper than having that capacity on-premises.
A capital letter
A capital letter is a financial services company. They used the cloud to provide better services to customers. Capital One uses AWS to fuel development processes, execute training models, and for its customer service solutions, such as contact centers and customer relationship management (CRM). The company also uses available AWS security solutions to ensure the security of customer information.
Pearson is an education company that provides content to students. The company uses AWS to help them increase capacity during times of high traffic, as well as build apps, eBooks, and Revel, which is an interactive learning environment.
AWS User Reviews
User reviews underscore the comprehensive nature of AWS offerings.
Here are AWS ratings on several review sites:
For 11 consecutive years, AWS has been recognized as a leader in Gartner’s “”Magic Quadrant for Cloud Infrastructure and Platform Services (CIPS).
AWS in the market
With around 32% of the $ 150 billion cloud market, AWS holds a solid lead over the other major vendors in the market: Microsoft Azure (20%), Google Cloud (20%), Alibaba (6%) and IBM Cloud ( 5%).
In recent years, however, AWS has seen its lead erode, as it held an estimated 33.8% of the market in Q4 2016, according to Canalys.